Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Club Grunters

Lorenzo (DD2) and I headed with conviction over to the free weight part of our club last night where the grunters live.

This part of the club scares the living hell out of me. It's full of over-muscled men and women that glance at softer versions of the humans they represent with pity and scorn (I could be overstating - ha!).

Okay - but they do look at less muscled peeps with some sort of judging eyes (and they are not even wearing the judging sunnies I need to wear everywhere I go these days). This fear speaks to my state of mind more than it speaks to theirs. Trust me. I'm a fearful girl.

So, we wander over there like we know what we want to do, and we do know what we want to do. We want the 5 and 8 lb free weights to hold while we do some lunges. And we do. It's all cool.

But while we are counting our lunges in our sets we are desperately trying to not listen to the GRUNTING that is going on. Serious sounds coming out of everyone! Red faces contorted and veins bulging. I got scared for a different reason! I thought I was going to have to run and get an attendant.

But no. No one else was concerned about the vocalization going on. What's up with the grunting? Does it help? Is it like bitching about the weather - you just have to do it to blend in?

I kept thinking it was like having a baby in a way. I had two babies with no drugs (hey, it was the 80s). While in labor each time I could feel that if I let go and let the pain take over by screaming I'd never come back. I felt better breathing and staying on top of the pain.

I can't help feeling that lifting is like that. That it would be better for the grunters to breath into their lifting and save that energy expended by grunting and put it into the lift.

But what do I know? I look like this when working out.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

You mean, cute & fluffy? :)

raydenzel1 said...

look at that retro headband!

TryN2FitN said...

Good for u on using the free weights.

Absolutely Ladylike said...

This post reminds me: I really have to go to the gym...:-)

Have a great week dear Deborah, cheers: Evi

Anonymous said...

As for all that "grunt work" you hear going on, it can be daunting, agreed. But as a mom of a powerlifter, I have learned that those GRUNTS actually do help to augment strength. Grunting is a "style" thing -- some do, some don't. But for those who do, it apparently does help them maximize their sessions.

I don't mind the grunting....just leave your egos at the door, please.

:)