Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Say the Word and You'll Be Free

Favorite Words
  • obdurate
  • persnickety
  • twitch
  • twist
  • smart
  • smaller size (yes, a phrase)
  • erupting (flowers people, flowers)
  • hey
  • hot mess (yes, another phrase - I change my mind a lot! What can I say?)
  • yes
  • disparate
  • same
  • fever
Words.

Don't you just love them? Especially us blogger-types. We use them, mold them, scold them, or they scold us. We are good at using them. We are bad at using them. They are spelled wrong, they are spelled right. Somehow, even with errors, the message is clear.

My adorable little sister thinks I am too careful on my blog. That I don't have at it with both guns blazing. I know she might think me a guns-blazing kind of girl, but I don't always feel that way on the inside. Am I reactive at times? Oh yes I am. Am I passive at times? Oh yes I am.

This is because, no matter how prolific you are on your blog, no matter how succinct, no matter how much you swear, no matter how much you avoid it, no matter what, you are not "putting it all out there." We self-edit. We might let little things slip here and there, but we edit ourselves.

How could we not? Even when trying to be brutally upfront and honest, it's still only your view of the thing. We've all heard this,

There are three stories. Your story, their story, and the real story.

I don't know who writes the real story, but it's out there somewhere!

For me? I'm boring at times, I'm aggressive at times, I'm quiet at times (even me!), I'm LOUD at times, I'm annoying always.

But to you guys, you guys that I read every day, I love all the disparate and similar views. I love the loud and the quiet. I love the inflammatory and the salving. I just love y'all. Yes.

8 comments:

Linnea said...

Careful or not Sis. I love the way you think!!

Sarah said...

Moot
Dude (not really what I think of a favorite, just one that slips out all the time!)
Freaking
Asshat
F*cktard
Ebullient
Cantankerous
Geek
Simmer down!
Frollick
Silly
Discombobulated
Wonky
Akimbo
Heretic
Effervescent
Bubbly
Concise
Efficient
Naughty
Squeal
Skitter

If made up words count...
Frak!
Gigantor
Goober
Nerdherd
Muende
Geekling
Kiddiewompus
Noob/newb


Foreign words:
Cazzo! (Italian cuss word kat-ZO)
Andele
Ciao
Sacapuntas (pencil sharpener, but any word that sounds so wicked is a fav in my book)

Eeek I could go on all day!

Ms. A said...

I find myself editing so much... I don't even bother to post!

PS: Persnickety is one of my favorite words!

So. Cal. Gal said...

I wish I had your sister. ; )

I like to think I'm brutally honest but I know deep down that I could do SO much more if I didn't think someone (else) could find me.

T said...

I'm not as forthcoming (i.e., brutally hontest) as I could be when I blog.

It's both intentional and unintentional.

A part of me wants to remain a mystery to most.

I'm sure it would make my blog far more entertaining to read, on the other hand.

I love YOUR honesty. You seem far more "out there," and therefore it's liberating to READ it even if I don't often WRITE it.

:)

T said...

HONEST

(I don't proofread blog posts very carefully)

Unknown said...

Such a great post. I have censored myself on my blog so much since the early days... It's weird but almost a necessity. I too am much wilder, louder, passionate, and potty mouthed than I appear on my blog, but my long-time readers probably know more of the "real me" lol.

I know it's like 10 years later, but I just saw your comment about my vintage luggage from my Stay Cay and all I know about it is that it was a sister company to Louis Vuitton but there are no markings on it. I randomly was watching "Say Anything" the other night and there's a scene where the dad goes to a luggage store to buy some for his daughter and his card gets rejected. But the set he chose to buy was my exact set. I got more excited than I probably should have but still, they didn't mention the designer. If I ever do find out, I'll let you know. And vice versa :) xoxo

from here: http://www.lovemaegan.com/2011/09/staycation-oceana-hotel-in-santa-monica.html

Not So Simply Single said...

You are my sister from another mister.


I like YES. YES YES YES YES...

Instead of always saying no, I like YES