Saturday, January 29, 2011

Don't Cry for Me Argentina

Chez Emerson - the update.

The addition is moving along at a great clip. Someone shows up every day and they all seem to know what they're doing. Just one little snafu and we're putting it into the shit happens bucket. Cuz guess what? Shit does happen!

Our electrician was doing his electric-thing when BOP, something popped and BLOOP the computer panel from my LG stove (I hate you LG! You suck!) fried. I did a happy dance for a minute until Pup soberly reminded me that, no, we wouldn't be getting a new stove right now because, guess what? we have all our money tied up in this addition. Poopy shitty and color me sad. I knew it already, but couldn't I gouge our contractor for a new Wolf? Would he notice?

I'm kidding.

Kinda.

I don't play like that.

Unless I know I won't get caught.

I'm lying.

No I'm not.

Someone came out to work on the stove and I had that dude check on knob pricing for me again, hoping against hope that the knobs had come down from their $57 apiece pricing. Nope - now they are $189 apiece. I'm not lying. And that company knows the knobs are a pile. Oh dear! Don't get me started or I'll start ranting and raving like I like to do. Yes, I'm annoying.

Ask my sister. I had her on the phone yesterday for over an hour and I KNOW her ear was tired after she hung up. Really - how much can you LISTEN to one annoying woman? That woman being me, of course. hehehe

So . . . while all that electrical drama was unfolding something popped in the basement, but no one knew it. A GFCI (what the hell is that??) popped and turned off our freezer, media center, and humidifier. We happily went to Idafreekinho and were unaware until yesterday when I went to the dungeon basement to do a bunch of crap for the contractor.

Found the smelly freezer. Half full of our delicious free-range porky the piggy and bessie the cow. Oh sad day!

So I have to empty the smelly, bloody mess (I won't go into details, but I almost lost my lunch at one point), scrubbed it clean and now all that is in that freezer is my delivery from Karen from This Old House 2. Nummy!
This one looks particularly delicious! I can't lie, I ate two of the little ones yesterday. Stress eating yes? I also had Chinese for supper. When stressed, nothing is better than some chicken chow mein.

Check out this little video I made yesterday with my new Nikon.


Whoo ha! It's a good day coming today. I just know it!

9 comments:

Marnie said...

Debora I feel your pain. A few years back we had water dammage in our home. So we had to get things redone. the same thing happened to the fidge in the basement happened.

The construction dust was also horrible. I'm a clean person too, but my God, that was brutal. The lesson I learned from all of that, is if I ever do that again, I'm hiring a cleaning team to go through the house and get rid of all the dust/matter that accumulated. They have all of those powerful vacuum's etc.

Take care and enjoy that gelato (sp?). Oh..it's the weekend, some booze wouldn't hurt either ;0)

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Oooh noooooooo!!!!... well.. maybe this is the forbearance of getting that Wolf you've been coveting for so long now. No Pain, no Gain, you know that, Deb.... :-) When it's all said and done, you'll love your new room and smile at the little misfortunes along the way.

Anonymous said...

I lived through an 18 month remodel at one time when we lived in Maryland. Dust was just something I learned to accept and the end result was a totally awesome house. Wolf? Did someone say Wolf? I would die and go to heaven if I ever get one.

Di

Ca88andra said...

You have definitely been to renovation hell and back! I'm almost embarrassed that I wrote about my tiny little problems with technology after reading this. Hope from now on everything goes smoothly.

J.J. in L.A. said...

There's that Minnesoooota accent! ; ) Too cute! Our kitchen was a MESS after the remodel. Fortunately, I'm not the one who had to clean it up.

Nice house!

Joann Mannix said...

In my old home when we did some extensive remodeling, I had to learn to let it go. For a few months, I drove myself crazy, trying to keep up with the dust and mess. You're wise to let it go.

And after a 2 year build, I feel your pain. I know. I know. I know. Just remember, this too shall pass and become a distant memory, sooner than you know.

One more thing: We went on vacation one July and a neighbor was watching out pets. One day, she called to tell us that there had to be something dead in our house, but she couldn't find anything. She said the smell was ungodly. I immediately thought about our extra freezer in the garage. The garage in Florida in July. I told our neighbor to check the garage. She called me back to tell me that she had opened the door to the garage and immediately closed it because of the horrific smell and the amount of flies akin to a horror movie. My wonderful brother told us he'd go take care of it. A freezer's worth of meat that had been sitting there rotting in the Fl heat thanks to a blown socket is a vile thing. My brother said if the smell wasn't revolting enough, the flies and maggots almost did him in. We showered him in bottles of our very best wines for his bravery.

deb-oh-rah said...

Our remodel was supposed to take 2-3 months, finally kicked them out 6months later. I would come home every night from work, 90-degree heat, no AC, sweep up the mess, then sit in a folding chair and watch the little portable TV with the fan blowing on me. Mikey was working 10-12 hour nights, would sleep 3-4 hours, get up every morning and clean up the yard. We spent every weekend for months staining wood for the trim, walls, ceiling, doors.

You are so lucky to have contractors there every day -- ours would say "see ya tomorrow" and then not show up for days, a week, not answer their phones. And when they were there would only work 4-5 hours/day -- our neighbors told us. What a nightmare. Ugh! But I hear they are out of the business. And what's really funny is that one of them said that his plan was to be a millionaire by the time he was 50! LOLOLOL!

But now there is a Homebuilders Association in our area and next time we will only hire one of their members.

Anonymous said...

Don't mock GFCIs. They're important.

T said...

OMG. Such horror stories.

What is it about leaving home and freezers getting ruined? What's the pattern there?

So sorry you had to go through this. All of you. Mercy.