Friday, February 15, 2013

Sweet Treat for Your Sweetie

Valentines Day

Has there ever been a day more fraught with high expectations and occasional disappointment? I say every year that I feel sorry for men just a bit, yet when given this sweet little bouquet from my Pup yesterday, I pouted for a minute.

Mostly because it looked like something you'd give your kid's teacher. And I kinda hate smiley face stuff.

Pup is the sweetest man ever, but he hasn't a romantic bone in his body. And that's okay. He has millions of things that I love about him and a smiley face mug of yellow roses and daisies isn't going to make me pout for very long. In his defense, he knows I love daisies and coffee.

Marriage, yes? I'm done pouting and am rather sheepish today. I am a beast!

But since it was Valentines Day I wanted to make a dessert that my Pup loves more than any other. He loves pumpkin pie!

I try (emphasis on the "try") to eat less sugar and found this recipe originally on Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes waaaaaay back in the beginning of my eating less sugar and carb days. I mean way back. 2002 if I think about it. I have made a few tweaks here and there, but here is the recipe.

Crustless Pumpkin Pie
15 oz can pumpkin
1/2 cup granular Stevia
1/4 cup caramel or vanilla sugar free syrup *Erythritol could be subbed*
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and beat until thoroughly mixed. Pour into a buttered 9-inch pie plate. Bake at 350° 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool, then chill before serving. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.


8 servings  *yeah, right*


Per serving: 120 calories; 10g fat; 3g protein; 7g carbohydrate; 2g fiber


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pup and I went to the movies, stopped at Super America (gas station/convenience store) for his Cool Whip (they were out - yay!), and had a piece of pie with real whipped cream.

It's quite delicious and I have a couple of recipes for a grain-free crust I am thinking about trying with it. Pup's favorite way to have this is sans crust and frankly, you don't miss it.

*all photos courtesy of my lovely phone - so classy

2 comments:

T said...

Knowing you love daisies. That's why came to my mind too. Yes, there WAS thought put into it.

I think true romantics have a deeper sense of art and creativity about them, a fearless spontaneity about them. It's what sets them apart, I think. And they're deep thinkers. And they think with the heart, not with their head.

Okay. I'm done.

Great lookin' pie! And healthy too! woohoo

Katherine - Real Food Runner said...

Pretty flowers! yummy pie. :)

http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com