Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Dream a Little Dream

you're no good
I had the craziest dream last night. I woke after/during it and thought, "This one is actually worth telling!" But it disappeared this morning. Only the wisp of crazy remains in my memory. Which is good because having to listen to someone else's dream is second only to looking at someone else's vacation photos. Oye to the vey! I like to have a stick in my handbag just for poking out my eyes on such occasions. I have had to hand my sticks to those I have inflicted with my vacation shots. That's the kind of woman I am!

This just reminded me of when I was pregnant with my dear Bella. I had made friends with a neighbor in our fairly isolated rural neighborhood. She was a cousin-in-law of one of our dear friends and while she was not my normal girl, she turned out to be a very good friend at a time I needed another mother to help me along my brand new journey of becoming a momma.

One evening she and he husband invited us over for dinner on a Saturday evening. She had recently had a baby and I was about seven months or so along in my first pregnancy.

After dinner the guys were enjoying an after dinner beer while she dragged out one of those slide projectors people used to have with the circle of photos. She was a talker and I confess to only listening to her half the time on occasion so I wasn't entirely certain what we were going to be looking at.

Suddenly her peek-at-chu came peeking out from the screen. Along with her baby's head poking out of that peek-at-chu. My poor wasband nearly came undone. What the hell? I could hear his unspoken cries. As for me, a very pregnant first timer, it was rather horrifying. My own little baby started doing summersaults in utero in response to my fight or flight adrenalin pouring out.

Along with the slides was a running dialog of the whys, hows, whens and every other unimaginable thing you do not want to know.

This experience scared me so I was seriously dreading when my own babe would pop out into the world. My experience was just fine, but that should have been a lesson to me to not overshare birth experiences. But women can't help themselves. It's a big thing we can do and the stories need to be told.

But maybe not shown.

4 comments:

Ms. A said...

Oh, boy, you'd need a BIG stick to poke your eyes out watching the videos of my grandaughters being born! The first was born in my house and there was an entire audience looking on as my youngest son filmed the process. (this was Michael's oldest daughter and his brother was filming the birth) My youngest some also filmed their second daughter being born at their house, also with an entire audience.

I wasn't allowed to video my daughter's kids being born, (in the hospital) but I fought them all to be able to take still photos of the youngest being born. I was not taking no for an answer! If I had realized the camera I was using for still could video, there would have been a video regardless of what they said. You can never get those times back and having photos and videos is priceless!

Ms. A said...

Sorry for the typos, I should have proofed that!

T said...

"...Suddenly her peek-at-chu came peeking out from the screen. Along with her baby's head poking out of that peek-at-chu. My poor wasband nearly came undone. What the hell? I could hear his unspoken cries. As for me, a very pregnant first timer, it was rather horrifying. My own little baby started doing summersaults in utero in response to my fight or flight adrenalin pouring out..."

You should have been a screenwriter. I picture Vince Vaughn starring in this hilarious comedy.

YOU.CRACK.ME.UP.

Thanks for the laughs. I've decided to dig deep into your archives today for added therapy.

David Macaulay said...

holiday vids and pics bore the hell out of me but would take every minute detail of a two week longer in Cancun rather than seeing a childbirth vid...