But the day was good! We had a very small group this year. Just Lorenzo and BT. Pup's wayward brother was coming, but chickened out at in the end. I felt bad because he either spent the day alone or in a bar. Either one is not good.
I made the smallest turkey I ever made. I think it was only 12 pounds. It looked like a big chicken. So, of course, I overcooked it a bit.
But that's what gravy is for! I made a roaster pan inches thick with that stuff. Oooooo, it was good. My momma taught me how to make gravy when I was pretty small. I think 10 or 11. I honed that talent while pregnant with Lorenzo. I had a pregnancy related craving for everything smothered in gravy so we ate it every night if memory serves.
I learned new things this Thanksgiving.
- It's a big meal to make, even with a small group.
- Riesling wine isn't always good. Paaaatooy I say.
- Having a huge weight lifted from me is fantastic! I feel like me again.
- Cranberries from the can are delicious spread on a piece of turkey like jelly (smooch to my Shelley-Belly).
- New and easier recipes are good (again, thanks to my Shelley-Belly).
- The Godfather rocks.
The Godfather was marathoning on AMC (I think) so we dragged out our copy after hearing that Lorenzo had never seen The Godfather. WTH??? How did I raise a child that has never seen The Godfather?
So we pulled the pit (couch) into a big square and the four of us lay in it to watch. Appropriate since Lorenzo and I were drinking Coppola wine. Nummy.
I think I was snoring before you could say "she sleeps with the fishes."
BTW - how beautiful was Al Pacino in this movie?